Wednesday, June 16, 2010

0 Book 28 Of 10 Hero Type By Barry Lyga

Book 28 Of 10 Hero Type By Barry Lyga
* * * * CHARACTERS: When I went to the Teen Author Carnival, Barry Lyga said that Kevin had been his most difficult character to write because, as opposed to the rest of his protagonists, he wasn't a super genius. He had to figure important things out, but at a convincing pace, because he was just an average guy. Kevin was an interesting character to read about. His average joe personality made him a more compelling when the book got down to his political showdown with his charismatic rival. I don't think I would've enjoyed the book as much if he had been amazingly intelligent. The point of the book hit home instead of seeming elitist thanks to this detail. One thing I have noticed in several Goodreads reviews is how people say Lyga's novels are anti feminism because his protagonist is always idolizing them. Yes, not all girls fit into the Manic Pixie Dream Girl cliche, but as teens we often become infatuated with an idealistic shade of the person we supposedly have a crush on. I feel that Lyga shows this well in all of his books that I've read. Kevin may be borderline creepy with his crush, but the point wasn't to support that kind of behavior. The point was to show far we can go for obsession. 4 AND A HALF FLOWERS. Writing: I devoured this book in one day, to my surprise. After reading two of Lyga's books, I can say I adore his narrative voice. 5 FLOWERS. Plot: I went into this book assuming it would mostly consist of debates over heroism with a little bit of political analysis mixed in. I was delightfully wrong. I love politics, and this book confirmed my beliefs and made me think more about the world. At points I would internally cheer on Kevin and his me against the town ideology. 4 AND A HALF FLOWERS. END: Loved it! So glad Lyga ended on this note. 5 FLOWERS. Dust Jacket Description: Don't let this description mislead you. This book is more politically oriented than it says. 3 FLOWERS. Cover: Too boring. 3 FLOWERS. Overall: This appeased by inner political junkie. But if you're not into politics, you still might want to give this a try. I'd definitely recommend it for librarians and anyone who believes in choice. Well written with just enough characterization mixed in. 4 AND A HALF FLOWERS.Emma Out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Dating for Average Guys Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates