Sunday, December 11, 2011

0 Snow Cake

Snow Cake
One minute I was laughing, the next close to tears, and then feeling terribly inspired to take life by the cajones. This was how I spent yesterday afternoon while watching a screening of the new film my sister is editing called Snow Cake.

IMDB outlines the plot as: "A drama focused on the friendship between a high-functioning autistic woman and a man who is traumatized after a fatal car accident." It has an excellent cast: Alan Rickman as Alex, Sigourney Weaver as the unforgettable Linda, and Carrie-Anne Moss (from Matrix fame) as Maggie.

This is not a film for people who demand at least three car chases and an explosion to feel really entertained. It is however a touching study of human nature and relationships, with a very uplifting message, and I have no doubt it's going to be well reviewed upon release.

When I worked on Long Acre in Covent Garden I would often see my sister for lunch and she'd show me a scene and asked me if I felt it worked or not, as she poured over every minute detail. To see it all together yesterday was just wonderful, and she's done a brilliant job.

And in case you think I'm being biased, I sat next to the great Jim Clark's (Vera Drake, The Mission, The Killing Fields etc) wife, Laurence, (a film editor herself instrumental in the French film movement in her day), who told me she thought my sis was a wonderful and very talented editor and was glad she had returned to work after having her daughter. I was terribly proud.

In the tabloids this week, it looks like she of the penciled eyebrows, Michelle, and her long haired effeminate boyfriend Stewart of last year's BB fame have split up. I imagine this is going to provide some problems for OK! magazine, who use the two as celebrity commentators for this year's show - complete with loved-up photos.

I haven't watched any BB this year, but I follow what is going on in my mags which seem obsessed with it. Looks like a lot of gratuitous nudity, and sex, and a bunch of people that seem hell bent on finding fame through some rather uncouth behavior. But hey, I guess they want to make the most of their 15 minutes before the media forgets about them entirely and finds something else to force down our throats.

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Gardner have gotten married in a quiet Caribbean ceremony. I have to say, as much as I am looking forward to Robert and my wedding next year, there is a part of me that wants to throw caution to the wind and just do it while on a romantic holiday together. Weddings can be quite stressful, and I heard a great line the other day, "Funerals and weddings bring out the worst in people," which unfortunately having experienced both, I can say is true enough.

I recall attending a wedding with my mother some years ago. The bride's parents went completely over-board hiring two adjoining reception halls with a huge screen in the second to show what was happening at the head table (speeches etc). A fair chunk of people in attendence were business associates of the bride's father, some of whom she had never even met, which struck me as a little sad really.

Still, it is an opportunity for family and friends to come together and celebrate with you and it probably shouldn't matter where you do it, how much it costs, and who sits where. As Robert and I are paying for our own wedding, we call the shots, though we're fortunate enough not to have parents hell bent on making it more about them then us.

Greg's view is that when the parents are hosting your wedding, you are merely the guests of honour and they are entitled to invite whom they want. I can appreciate this sentiment, but both Robert and I agree that we don't want anyone in attendance that doesn't know and care about both of us - it just feels a bit more intimate and special that way. Admittedly, this also means no intriguing strangers for our single friends to meet, though I'm hoping they'll still be able to have fun - with the help of lots of champagne, of course.

Origin: art-of-pickup.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Dating for Average Guys Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates